Avenged Sevenfold Italia -  www.avengedsevenfolditalia.it

Ultimate Guitar, interview with Johnny Christ

« Older   Newer »
Elianaxcore
view post Posted on 13/7/2010, 22:17

At this time last year, Avenged Sevenfold was focused on shaping its fifth studio album, which looked to be a much darker concept album from the get-go. The Huntington Beach natives did manage to write the majority of the record in 2009, but their career – and more importantly – friendships took a very different turn in December. It was during that fateful month that drummer, songwriter, and friend Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan suddenly passed away at the age of 28. The remaining four bandmates (vocalist M. Shadows, lead guitarist Synyster Gates, rhythm guitarist Zacky Vengeance, and bassist Johnny Christ) were at an emotional and creative crossroads, but in the end they realized moving forward was the only way to celebrate Sullivan’s legacy.

Immediately stepping in to temporarily fill Sullivan’s shoes was another percussive legend in his own right: Dream Theater’s Mike Portnoy. Utilizing the demos that Sullivan recorded before his death, Avenged Sevenfold was able to go forward with what the group believes would be The Rev’s musical vision. The resulting record Nightmare, slated to be released on July 27, still has elements of the original concept album idea, but lyrically it very much pays homage to the band’s drummer and friend.

Bassist Johnny Christ recently talked with Ultimate-Guitar to discuss the mindset that Avenged Sevenfold possessed during the making of Nightmare. The thought of touring has been somewhat of a dismal idea for the band without The Rev, but Christ realizes that it must be done in order to get the music – a testament to his friend’s memory – to the masses.

UG: I realize that you have been through quite a traumatic time over the past year, so I thank you for talking with us. Can you give readers some background on the songwriting process for Nightmare? How much did the album’s musical path change following the tragic events of the past December?

Johnny: We had been writing for awhile. When Jimmy passed, the record was done. We had been working on it for nine months on just the writing process. It started pretty much after the last touring cycle. I would say eight or nine months went into writing this record. It started out being a concept record. Jimmy had been involved throughout. We had completely finished the writing process and we were ready to go into the studio. We were going to start the second week of January, I believe.

"We wanted to have a dark concept record, sort of like The Wall or Operation: Mindcrime."
Your fellow bandmates have described Nightmare as a much darker record in comparison to your past material. In the first stages of the writing process, did you have a goal to shape it as such?

We definitely had made the decision that it was going to be a concept record. We wanted to have a dark concept record, sort of like The Wall or Operation: Mindcrime. At the same time we wanted to incorporate some of what we had done in the past with the guitar work. We wanted to make it heavier in general. Throughout all of that, the songs that came out were musically already as dark as we wanted them to be. Then lyrically it took a different turn when Jimmy passed. The lyrics then became mostly – not 100 percent – but mostly to do with his death and his life.

Did you at any time hesitate going forward with the record after Jimmy’s passing? Or were automatically inspired to shape Nightmare as a tribute album of sorts?

When I got the call, we all went over to Shadow’s house. It was the four of us, some of girlfriends and wives, and we were pretty much inconsolable. It wasn’t anything to do with the band. It was more like, “What are we going to do without our brother in life?” Rather than it just being about the band, when we did start thinking about it, we were more like, “We can’t do this without him.” It would be very hard to replace him. After a couple of weeks, we realized that we should get this record out. Jimmy had written 60 percent of the record by himself. Everyone has their piece of the puzzle that ensures the song can come together. When he had been there for every aspect of the writing of the record, it makes it very much his record. We discussed about what to do with the band. He had demoed drums on an electric kit, but those wouldn’t do him justice. Those were things he laid down in one track. Knowing how he was, he would have been very much a perfectionist. Then the idea came up to have Mike Portnoy come in. He had sent his condolences. He was pretty much the perfect fit, being one of Jimmy’s heroes. He was very much an influence on his life. We asked him if he would do the record, and he said he would be honored. He was very cool about what we wanted. He’ll never be Jimmy, but as long as we get the right guy, it would have been what he would have wanted. For the next weeks we worked on it very hard. I think we accomplished a lot on this record.

"Everyone has their piece of the puzzle that ensures the song can come together."
Will you be touring with as well?

When we were doing the record, we were deciding if we were even going to tour. That was another thing that we were like, “No way. We can’t tour without him. That would be weird.” Frankly, the idea right now is that we’ve got to do this. We need to get Jimmy’s work out there and heard. That’s what he would have wanted. It would also be something therapeutic for us as a band.

I’ve been reading quite a bit about one particular song on the album, “Fiction.” Is it true that it was the last song that Jimmy composed?

Yeah. He had finished writing the second part of the song. It was cool for us to have it, but it was very eerie and a little fucked up. Usually when we do demos, you kind of hum the melody and the song lyrics might come through. The lyrics that Jimmy had written in the song were very clairvoyant and very eerie, basically saying his good-byes to us. It ended up sounding great and we put it on the record. We’re very fortunate for that. It’s very eerie and a little hard to listen to.

Having a highly respected drummer like Mike Portnoy sign on to help is certainly a testament to Jimmy’s playing.

We’ve been able to tour with some phenomenal drummers and bands that we’ve learned a lot from. Mike stepped up to it, learned all the parts. Mike was very respectful and made sure he approached it the way we needed him to. It was very cool because he was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dark time.

Did you switch up your usual studio setup during the making of Nightmare?

Yeah. This time we worked with producer Mike Elizondo, who is a very classically trained and accomplished bassist himself. Otherwise he’s a brilliant musician and songwriter who has worked with 50 Cent and Dr. Dre for a long time in the business. It’s definitely different genre of music. He was great to have in terms of getting different sounds. There was nothing too dramatic other than a few amps and stuff. Over all, I used the same things that I used on previous records to get the raw tones.

Were you using Ernie Ball basses again?

Yeah. I used Ernie Ball for most of the songs. There were also a few others like a ’72 Thunderbird.

Has your technique or approach to the bass remained consistent over the years?

I think as a musician you push yourself to get better. Each member of this band has done that in their own way, and I think that I’ve done that myself. We help each other out in that way. We work on each other’s strengths and keep working towards it to become more mature. There are a lot of guitar players that might want to try and do over-the-top things where it really isn’t necessary. Coming into the self-titled, I think I had more maturity and that allowed my bass to develop. For this record, I had written about 80 percent of the bass lines already before we went into the studio. That way I could work stuff out after it was laid down. In terms of the bass lines, they’re written for each song. What kind of vibe is in each song? You go by a song to song basis and try to find a balance with the guitars. I think we accomplished that on this record.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to make a living in the music industry?

You definitely have to be Internet savvy these days. I don’t know exactly where to go for that kind of stuff, but overall I’d say you want to get your stuff out there. With the Internet and everything today, there are so many cool ways to promote yourself.

Interview by Amy Kelly
Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2010

da http://www.ultimateguitar.com/interviews/i..._direction.html

dante3vergil
view post Posted on 13/7/2010, 22:34

CITAZIONE (Elianaxcore @ 13/7/2010, 23:17)
At this time last year, Avenged Sevenfold was focused on shaping its fifth studio album, which looked to be a much darker concept album from the get-go. The Huntington Beach natives did manage to write the majority of the record in 2009, but their career – and more importantly – friendships took a very different turn in December. It was during that fateful month that drummer, songwriter, and friend Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan suddenly passed away at the age of 28. The remaining four bandmates (vocalist M. Shadows, lead guitarist Synyster Gates, rhythm guitarist Zacky Vengeance, and bassist Johnny Christ) were at an emotional and creative crossroads, but in the end they realized moving forward was the only way to celebrate Sullivan’s legacy.

Immediately stepping in to temporarily fill Sullivan’s shoes was another percussive legend in his own right: Dream Theater’s Mike Portnoy. Utilizing the demos that Sullivan recorded before his death, Avenged Sevenfold was able to go forward with what the group believes would be The Rev’s musical vision. The resulting record Nightmare, slated to be released on July 27, still has elements of the original concept album idea, but lyrically it very much pays homage to the band’s drummer and friend.

Bassist Johnny Christ recently talked with Ultimate-Guitar to discuss the mindset that Avenged Sevenfold possessed during the making of Nightmare. The thought of touring has been somewhat of a dismal idea for the band without The Rev, but Christ realizes that it must be done in order to get the music – a testament to his friend’s memory – to the masses.

UG: I realize that you have been through quite a traumatic time over the past year, so I thank you for talking with us. Can you give readers some background on the songwriting process for Nightmare? How much did the album’s musical path change following the tragic events of the past December?

Johnny: We had been writing for awhile. When Jimmy passed, the record was done. We had been working on it for nine months on just the writing process. It started pretty much after the last touring cycle. I would say eight or nine months went into writing this record. It started out being a concept record. Jimmy had been involved throughout. We had completely finished the writing process and we were ready to go into the studio. We were going to start the second week of January, I believe.

"We wanted to have a dark concept record, sort of like The Wall or Operation: Mindcrime."
Your fellow bandmates have described Nightmare as a much darker record in comparison to your past material. In the first stages of the writing process, did you have a goal to shape it as such?

We definitely had made the decision that it was going to be a concept record. We wanted to have a dark concept record, sort of like The Wall or Operation: Mindcrime. At the same time we wanted to incorporate some of what we had done in the past with the guitar work. We wanted to make it heavier in general. Throughout all of that, the songs that came out were musically already as dark as we wanted them to be. Then lyrically it took a different turn when Jimmy passed. The lyrics then became mostly – not 100 percent – but mostly to do with his death and his life.

Did you at any time hesitate going forward with the record after Jimmy’s passing? Or were automatically inspired to shape Nightmare as a tribute album of sorts?

When I got the call, we all went over to Shadow’s house. It was the four of us, some of girlfriends and wives, and we were pretty much inconsolable. It wasn’t anything to do with the band. It was more like, “What are we going to do without our brother in life?” Rather than it just being about the band, when we did start thinking about it, we were more like, “We can’t do this without him.” It would be very hard to replace him. After a couple of weeks, we realized that we should get this record out. Jimmy had written 60 percent of the record by himself. Everyone has their piece of the puzzle that ensures the song can come together. When he had been there for every aspect of the writing of the record, it makes it very much his record. We discussed about what to do with the band. He had demoed drums on an electric kit, but those wouldn’t do him justice. Those were things he laid down in one track. Knowing how he was, he would have been very much a perfectionist. Then the idea came up to have Mike Portnoy come in. He had sent his condolences. He was pretty much the perfect fit, being one of Jimmy’s heroes. He was very much an influence on his life. We asked him if he would do the record, and he said he would be honored. He was very cool about what we wanted. He’ll never be Jimmy, but as long as we get the right guy, it would have been what he would have wanted. For the next weeks we worked on it very hard. I think we accomplished a lot on this record.

"Everyone has their piece of the puzzle that ensures the song can come together."
Will you be touring with as well?

When we were doing the record, we were deciding if we were even going to tour. That was another thing that we were like, “No way. We can’t tour without him. That would be weird.” Frankly, the idea right now is that we’ve got to do this. We need to get Jimmy’s work out there and heard. That’s what he would have wanted. It would also be something therapeutic for us as a band.

I’ve been reading quite a bit about one particular song on the album, “Fiction.” Is it true that it was the last song that Jimmy composed?

Yeah. He had finished writing the second part of the song. It was cool for us to have it, but it was very eerie and a little fucked up. Usually when we do demos, you kind of hum the melody and the song lyrics might come through. The lyrics that Jimmy had written in the song were very clairvoyant and very eerie, basically saying his good-byes to us. It ended up sounding great and we put it on the record. We’re very fortunate for that. It’s very eerie and a little hard to listen to.

Having a highly respected drummer like Mike Portnoy sign on to help is certainly a testament to Jimmy’s playing.

We’ve been able to tour with some phenomenal drummers and bands that we’ve learned a lot from. Mike stepped up to it, learned all the parts. Mike was very respectful and made sure he approached it the way we needed him to. It was very cool because he was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dark time.

Did you switch up your usual studio setup during the making of Nightmare?

Yeah. This time we worked with producer Mike Elizondo, who is a very classically trained and accomplished bassist himself. Otherwise he’s a brilliant musician and songwriter who has worked with 50 Cent and Dr. Dre for a long time in the business. It’s definitely different genre of music. He was great to have in terms of getting different sounds. There was nothing too dramatic other than a few amps and stuff. Over all, I used the same things that I used on previous records to get the raw tones.

Were you using Ernie Ball basses again?

Yeah. I used Ernie Ball for most of the songs. There were also a few others like a ’72 Thunderbird.

Has your technique or approach to the bass remained consistent over the years?

I think as a musician you push yourself to get better. Each member of this band has done that in their own way, and I think that I’ve done that myself. We help each other out in that way. We work on each other’s strengths and keep working towards it to become more mature. There are a lot of guitar players that might want to try and do over-the-top things where it really isn’t necessary. Coming into the self-titled, I think I had more maturity and that allowed my bass to develop. For this record, I had written about 80 percent of the bass lines already before we went into the studio. That way I could work stuff out after it was laid down. In terms of the bass lines, they’re written for each song. What kind of vibe is in each song? You go by a song to song basis and try to find a balance with the guitars. I think we accomplished that on this record.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to make a living in the music industry?

You definitely have to be Internet savvy these days. I don’t know exactly where to go for that kind of stuff, but overall I’d say you want to get your stuff out there. With the Internet and everything today, there are so many cool ways to promote yourself.

Interview by Amy Kelly
Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2010

da www.ultimateguitar.com/interviews/i..._direction.html

Certo.... Più chiaro di così....

Boomer.
view post Posted on 13/7/2010, 22:43

ora traduco io

dante3vergil
view post Posted on 13/7/2010, 22:44

CITAZIONE (Boomer. @ 13/7/2010, 23:43)
ora traduco io

Grazie 100000000000 :D

Boomer.
view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 00:02

In questo preciso momento, l'anno scorso, gli a7x si stavano concentrando
nel dar forma al loro 5album, il quale risultava un concept-album molto piu dark.
i ragazzi di huntington beach andavano avanti scrivendo la maggior parte del
lavoro nel 2009, ma la loro carriera, e soprattutto la loro amicizia, prese
una piega diversa a dicembre. accadde in quel fatidico mese che il batterista,
scrittore dei testi, e amico jimmy the rev sullivan improvvisamente è deceduto
a 28anni. i 4 rimanenti membri del gruppo (il cantante m.shadows, chitarrista
solista syn gates, chitarrista ritmico zacky v, e il bassista johnny christ)
erano ad un bivio di emozioni e creatività.
Ma alla fine realizzarono che andare avanti era l'unico modo x commemorare
cio' che era stato lasciato da sullivan.

immediatamente a intervenire per sostituire sullivan provvisoriamente, fu
un altro batterista leggendario: il membro dei dream theater mike portnoy.
usando i demo lasciati da the rev prima della morte, gli a7x riuscirono
ad andare avanti con le credenze della band, che erano i punti di vista
musicali di rev. il risultante album nightmare, programmato per esser
pubblicato il 27 luglio, ha ancora elementi dell'idea di concept album di
partenza, ma i testi rendono molto + omaggio all'amico e membro del gruppo.

il bassista j.c. ha recentemente parlato su ultimate-guitar per discutere
riguardo l'atteggiamento mentale che gli a7x avevano durante la registrazione
di nightmare. il pensiero di partire per il tour senza rev è stato
un'idea deprimente per il gruppo, ma christ si rende conto che ciò può
esser fatto per divulgare la musica, come testamento in memoria
dell'amico, alla gente.

I(intervistatore): mi rendo conto che sei passato attraverso un infinito
periodo traumatico durante l'anno passato, quindi grazie per esser qui a
parlare con noi. potresti dire qualcosa ai lettori riguardante quel che c'è
stato dietro il processo di stesura dei testi di nightmare? quant'è cambiato
musicalmente dopo il tragico evento?

J: per un po' stavamo lavorando sulla scrittura. quando jimmy se ne andò, la
registrazione era fatta. avevamo lavorato su per nove mesi solo per il
processo di scrittura. era partito tutto molto + tardi dall'ultimo tour fatto.
però voglio precisare che abbiamo speso 9 mesi per scrivere l'album.
stava cominciando a divenire un concept album, nel quale anche jimmy era coinvolto.
il processo di scrittura era completamente finito ed eravamo pronti a entrare
in studio. probabilmente avremmo iniziato a registrare nella seconda settimana
di gennaio.

I: "volevamo un album dal contenuto dark, una specie di
THE WALL o OPERATION: MINDCRIME". tu e i tuoi compagni, avete descritto
nightmare come uno degli album + dark della vostra carriera.
nella prima parte della progettazione, avevate in mente
di ottenere lo stesso risultato?

J: sicuramente abbiamo preso insieme la decisione di creare un
concept album. volevamo un concept album dark, una specie di
the wall o operation: mindcrime. ma allo stesso tempo volevamo
incorporare qualche parte di chitarra scartata in passato.
volevamo il materiale piu' heavy possibile. ma le canzoni che uscirono
non erano ancora pronte musicalmente per il dark che intendevamo noi.
quindi i testi presero un'altra strada, dopo quel che accadde a jimmy.
per cui la maggior parte di essi (ma non il 100%) vennero scritti per
riguardo la sua vita e la sua morte.

I: avete mai indugiato nell'andare avanti coi progetti lasciati da
jimmy dopo la sua morte? o venne spontaneo rendere nightmare un tributo a lui?

J:quando ci arrivò la chiamata andammo tutti a casa di shadows.
eravamo noi quattro, alcune fidanzate e mogli,ed eravamo impossibili
da consolare. non avevamo nemmeno pensato alla band. era più un:
"e ora cosa faremo senza nostro fratello?"
dopodichè divenne anche una questione riguardante la band, quando
iniziammo a pensarci, pensavamo che non potevamo far nulla senza
di lui. sarebbe stato difficilissimo rimpiazzarlo. dopo un po'
di settimane realizzammo che potevamo farcela. jimmy aveva gia' scritto
il 60% del lavoro tutto da solo. ciascuno di noi aveva le proprie parti,
e unendole potevamo formare i brani.
così discutemmo su cosa fare con il gruppo. c'erano alcune demo
registrate con la batteria elettrica, ma non gli avrebbero mai reso
giustizia. potevano essere usate al massimo come guida.
Conoscendolo, sapevamo quanto fosse un perfezionista. così l'idea
di assumere mike saltò fuori improvvisamente. ci aveva inviato
le sue condolianze, e lui sarebbe stato perfetto, dal momento che
era uno degli eroi di jimmy. era stato significativo x la sua vita.
così glielo proponemmo,e lui disse che si sentiva onorato.
e' stato molto gentile a rispettare quel che volevamo.
sapevamo che non sarebbe mai stato jimmy, ma sapendo di aver
scelto il ragazzo giusto, mike sarebbe stato l'ideale x quel che cercavamo.
le settimane successive lavorammo parecchio insieme, con grande complicità.

I: "tutti noi avevamo le nostre parti che unite formavano le canzoni".
ci sarete in tour?

J: mentre lavoravamo sull'album, stavamo decidendo se organizzare anche
un tour. ma questo lo sentivamo come un "niente da fare. non si può
partire in tour senza di lui. sarebbe strano".
francamente, l'idea attuale è che dobbiamo farlo. dobbiamo divulgare
il lavoro di jimmy e farlo sentire. è ciò che vorrebbe lui.
e tra l'altro sarebbe terapeutico per noi come band.

I: ho letto qualcosa riguardante una canzone particolare dell'album,
"fiction". è vero che si tratta dell'ultima canzone di jimmy?

J: certo. aveva finito di scrivere anche la seconda parte della canzone.
e per noi era una figata averla, anche se era un po' arrangiata.
solitamente nei demo i testi, la melodia, e un po' di ronzio potrebbero
sentirsi tutti in sieme.
ma era un testo chiaroveggente, ed inquietante,
praticamente sta dando il suo addio a tutti noi. e dopo tutto
il brano risultava buono, così l'abbiamo lasciato nell'album.
abbiamo avuto molta fortuna per questa traccia, anche se è molto
straziante da ascoltare.

I: avendo un batterista di altissimo rispetto (M.P.) che vi porge il
suo aiuto, certamente è anche questo un 'testamento' di jimmy.

J:abbiamo fatto tour con molti fenomeni musicali dai quali abbiamo
imparato molto. mike ci ha seguiti e imparato tutte le parti.
ha portato molto rispetto e ha reso possibile che il lavoro si svolgesse
nel migliore dei modi. è stato figo perchè lui è stato come un
raggio di sole in un momento dark.

I: avete apportato delle modifiche al tuo setup nel registrare nightmare?

J:si, questa volta abbiamo lavorato col produttore mike elizondo, che
è un classico allenatore nonchè bassista. ma è anche un ottimo musicista
e scrittore di canzoni. infatti ha lavorato con 50 cent e dr. dre per
molto tempo. è sicuramente altra musica, ma lui era adatto per aiutarci
ad ottenere svariati suoni. non c'era niente di esagerato negli strumenti
a nostra disposizione, e soprattutto io ho usato il mio solito materiale.

I: hai usato bassi "Ernie ball" di nuovo?

J: certo. ho usato gli ernie ball per gran parte delle canzoni.
ma ce n'erano anche altri come un Thunderbird del 1972.

I:la vostra tecnica è rimasta della stessa consistenza nel corso degli anni?

J: credo che come musicista mi sia impegnato per migliorare. ogni
membro del gruppo ha fatto a suo modo di tutto per migliorare.
ed io penso di esserci riuscito. ci aiutiamo l'un l'altro in questo.
lavoriamo sulle potenzialità di ciascuno di noi e continuiamo di lavorare
su questo per maturare sempre più. molti chitarristi vorrebbero
lavorare come pazzi là dove non è necessario.
a partire dall'album avenged sevenfold penso di esser maturato e ciò
mi ha permesso di sviluppare le mie abilità di bassista.
per quest'album ho scritto circa l'80% delle partiture per basso.
provando a trovare un punto di equilibrio con le chitarre, passando
di canzone in canzone. credo che quest'album sia particolarmente riuscito.

I: alcuni consigi per chi vorrebbe lavorare nel mondo della musica?

J: devi assolutamente darti da fare su internet in questi giorni.
non so bene come funzioni, ma so per certo che devi far sentire
in giro il tuo materiale. con internet, al giorno d'oggi, ci sono
un sacco di bei modi per farti sentire!

view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 00:10

Sevenfoldist

Group:
Boss

grazie per aver tradotto. il mio mal di testa ti è grato.
johnny non ha dato poi grandi risposte su tour e futuro.
SPOILER (click to view)
ci ha pensato matt a stroncarci le gambe a tutti xD

Web Contacts  Top
Boomer.
view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 00:13

SPOILER (click to view)
maledetto matt! mattledetto

comunque credo sia utile scrivere questo (In spoiler):
SPOILER (click to view)
DA WIKIPEDIA:
Operation: mindcrime è un concept album che parla di un uomo che, deluso dalla società americana, si unisce ad una corporazione che progetta di assassinare i leader corrotti. L'album utilizza dialoghi tra le canzoni per far proseguire la trama; è tra i primi nonché uno dei più importanti album progressive metal, e aprì la strada a gruppi come i Dream Theater.

Elianaxcore
view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 05:59

Operation: mindcrime (dei Queensryche) è un capolavoro, ed è ben strutturato come concept...questo cd si carica di aspettative...comunque: che bello sentir parlare Johnny! chiaro e puntuale. non è uno che tergiversa troppo con le parole (ma avrei preferito sentirlo parlare ancora un po' del basso....!)

Boomer.
view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 14:01

CITAZIONE
(ma avrei preferito sentirlo parlare ancora un po' del basso....!)

ti quoto!
Insomma, tanti musicisti di valore ad un certo punto della loro carriera iniziano a rilasciare materiale riguardo il loro equipaggiamento..non credo che syn e gli altri usino particolari settaggi, però sarei curioso!
SPOILER (click to view)
non andiamo OT!

8 replies since 13/7/2010, 22:17   104 views